9 March 2015

Pixel loves his rabbit friends (sort of): The Pixel Diaries

Hello Hoomans! When my humans brought me home I tried to let them know that I really wanted to have some friends. Back in the kennels they would bring cats out to meet me, and I bow and spin and let the people know that I liked the cats, I wouldn't mind having one around. So when my humans brought me home, I was excited to smell that they had some rabbits too!

For the first few weeks of being in my new home, I could hear and smell the rabbits, but I wasn't allowed to see them. They were in another room, behind a gate with a blanket hung over it, so that I was not able to see them. Whenever my humans when into the room to feed them, I would catch a glimpse of them.

After a week or two they uncovered the gate so that I could see the bunnies. They were awesome, there was Moonpig a rotund looking French Lop, and Button, a tan and white Harlequin (he looks like me in rabbit form). At first I liked to stare at them, they were interesting to look at, but then I realised they were my friends and didn't bother after that.

After a month and a bit, my humans brought the rabbits into the front room and I got to meet them through the bars. Moonpig didn't seem to like me, but Button and I became friends, and regularly touched our noses together to say hello. Then the rabbits started to come out of the crate in the front room. At first I had to wear my lead, which was tough cause all I wanted to do with play with the rabbits. I would cry and grumble about the fact that they could walk about freely but I had to be on lead. My humans would walk me over to the rabbits so I could meet them. I liked my friends and was excited to play with them.

After six months of slow introductions, my humans finally decided to let the rabbits out while I was off lead. At first I thought it would be awesome, I could play with Button! But then I realised that without my humans to back me up, the rabbits are scary. On my first off-lead interaction with the rabbits I ran away and hid with my mummy in the bed, while the rabbits had free fun of the front room.

Eventually my dad came and got me, he said he wouldn't have a Lurcher that was scared of rabbits. He brought me back into the room, and I made mummy come with me for moral support. I realised that the rabbits weren't as scary as I thought. Moonpig ignored me mostly, but Button was binking and it made me excited and I bowed to him and spun about him! It was fun to play with the rabbit (although I am still a little scared of them, especially when they thump).

I always look forward to the next time that I can play with them.

Notes from Christopher: When we were looking to get a dog, we contacted a local Lurcher rescue centre and they said that they wouldn't even consider homing any of their dogs in a household with rabbits, and I respect that decision. I've owned Lurchers who hunt, I know what they are like and the safety of my rabbits has been at the forefront of my mind when picking a dog.

That being said, I am a firm believer in getting my dogs to do what I want them to do. We selected Pixel because he had aced every cat test that the kennels but him through. We slowly introduced him to the rabbits over a 6 month period, allowing him to get used to their presence. I observed Pixel's behaviour while outside, he did chase rabbits and other small animals, but whenever he caught up with them he tried to play. Over time I realised that he had an abnormally low prey-drive, especially for a whippet cross.

The safety of my rabbit and my dog was always at the front of my mind when we made introductions. I am glad that I did introduce them. Pixel loves his rabbit friends, and is excited to play with them (always supervised) and the rabbits enjoy finding ways to be naughty in the presence of a dog who watches on. I am extremely happy with how everything turned out, and I know we are lucky to have a dog who likes rabbits. Not every Lurcher or Sighthound can be bonded with rabbits, but if they can, they make the most loyal of friends to them.

5 comments:

  1. I'm just curious, why rabbits? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just curious, why rabbits? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had rabbits for several years, but we're recently given the go ahead to get a dog.

      My wife loves rabbits, and grew up with them, whereas I grew up with dogs.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. We had rabbits for several years, but we're recently given the go ahead to get a dog.

      My wife loves rabbits, and grew up with them, whereas I grew up with dogs.

      Delete