13 February 2015

Pixel Reviews: Purina DeliBakie Stars

Pixel Investigates
I was first recommended these treats by my Mum while we were looking to get all the family dogs Christmas Presents. On that recommendation we went ahead and bought a packet for both Poppy and Trippy but it wasn't until last week that I purchased a pack for Pixel.

The DeliBakie Stars are short bread cookies that are flavoured with the delightful combination of cheese and beef. They come in a resealable package to ensure maximum freshness.

When I opened the pack I was surprised at the size of the cookies, they fit nicely in the palm of my hand but at the same time they are quite large. They also have a strong smell, not the most appetising from my perspective but it certainly catches Pixel's attention. Pixel also seems to like the flavour, he hops around the house on his back legs, following you as you carry the treats.

I cursory glance at the Purina website is enough to know that these dog treats are perhaps best used as an occasional treat, rather than a regular one. They have a high fat content, and even for a 15kg dog the recommended daily allowance is 3 stars, not particularly high considering that the treats are not exceptionally large.

I would probably buy these treats again but I doubt that they will become a part of Pixel's typical rotation. While the treats are eagerly devoured, I am hesitant about their fat content, considering Pixel's diet tends to be heavily subsidised by treats already.

Waiting patiently for his treat

What I like:


  • The individual treats are a decent size
  • The resealable packet keeps the treats fresh and easy to carry around

What Pixel likes:


  • The treats have a strong smell
  • The treats taste really good

What I don't like:


  • The fat content seems a little high for the size of the treat.

What Pixel doesn't like:


  • At most, he can only have three star cookies a day.

Would we recommend?


Would I recommend?: The treats certainly catch Pixel's attention, and he does start to bounce off the walls when I get the pack down. That said, the fat per treat seems a little too high for my liking. If you're not fussed about how healthy your treats are, I'd say go for it.

Would Pixel recommend?: Pixel loves these treats. Their smell and flavour really grip him. He wholeheartedly recommends.

No comments:

Post a Comment